[Dune] [Dune-Commit] dune-common r5021 - in trunk/doc: . devel doxygen

Markus Blatt Markus.Blatt at ipvs.uni-stuttgart.de
Fri Dec 7 12:31:35 CET 2007

On Thu, Dec 06, 2007 at 02:03:02PM +0100, Robert Kloefkorn wrote:
> Hello Markus, hello Christian,
>
> I think you have to distinguish between the two things I changed.
> First the WML thing. I fixed this because WML was check during configure
> and an AM_CONDITIONAL for WML was set, but not consequently used in the
> Makefiles. One should either make the configure fail if WML is not
> installed or (like I fixed yesterday) use the WML variable to toggle a
> missing WML. But then, using a svn checkout source tree, on some
> parallel machines this test might fail.

Configure should definitely not fail if wml is not found as dune is
perfectly usable from source in this case. Only installation and
tarball building will not work. (Maybe a warning at the end of
configure would be nice).

> The second change was the thing with disable-documentation. Before
> yesterday one could build a distribution with the option
> --disable-documentation and then would have problems with the resulting
> distribution. This I fixed yesterday. Before yesterday one could
> generate a distribution and everything is fine. Later the installation
> of this distribution would fail. I think the error should occur then
> during make dist. Anyway, as Andreas and I stated yesterday, it is very
> useful to have the possibility to create tar balls without documentation.

It still do not regard this as useful but I agree that it is a problem
if there no error during make dist and the tarballs cannot be
installed.

I would propose either throwing an error during make dist (when
configured with disable-documentation) or just ignore
disable-documentation in this case if doxygen and wml are installed.

> The errors you get are due to the fact that the generated filename are
> to long. I got this error before my changes. This can be switched of by
> a special tar option.

I know this error and the resolution. Actually before it was used when
doing make dist (and it is even now used, if wml is
installed).  It was not used when doing make, as the long filenames
are better readable for the webpages.

> And now to your mail before. I'm very sorry that the both of you had to
> spend weeks to make this "work". The making distribution thing wasn't
> working on any of our machines.

It was working perfectly on our machines with wml installed and of
course without --disable-documentation. It would have been interesting
what your setup was.

By the way the issue was known, but there never was any response nor
additional bug reports:

http://conan.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de/flyspray/index.php?do=details&task_id=248

As I stated before now it is not working without wml right now.