[Dune] GridPaper...

Oliver Sander sander at mi.fu-berlin.de
Tue Jun 26 17:49:27 CEST 2007

Hi All!

Here are answers (opinions), wherever I have them:

>Some remarks:
>1) should we include the father relation on codim>0 entities.
>   This relation is not modeled in DUNE
>   (actually subentities are not even part of the interface at the
>   moment).

IMHO subentities are part of the interface.  There are methods
to get Leaf- and LevelIterators for entities of all codims; also
the codim-0 entities have a method entity<cd>() which gives
you access to the subentities.  Yes, we do not currently require
implementations to provide that functionality, but it is
contained in the interface.

>2) There is some confusion concerning the level II at interior
>   level boundaries. Should the II stop in this case and what is
>   boundary(), neighbour()... (boundary=neighbor=false?)
>   The DUNE documentation seems to say that the II stops in this
>   case but the values of boundary() and neighbor() are not mentioned.
>   The paper says that no intersection is generated...

I always thought that LevelIntersectionIterators are supposed
to stop there and return boundary()==neighbor()==false.
UGGrid and OneDGrid are programmed that way, which of
course doesn't mean it's a fortiori correct.

>3) The leaf definition is simpler than before prehaps we have missed
>   some problem here? Instead of some sarcastic remark a real
>   explanation would be welcomed - if both Robert and myself do not
>   see the importants of the original definition than a external
>   reader would probably have similar problems...

I have to admit I don't understand what you mean by this.
Before what?  I didn't really change anything there.
I apologize if my comments are too sarcastic for your taste.

greetings,
Oliver

> [...]
>two conditions for every $k\in\mathbb{N}_0$:
>\begin{enumerate}
>\item[(a)] (persistence of index)
>\begin{equation*}
>\forall e\in\leftidx{^{k}}{L}{},
>\forall e^\prime\in\leftidx{^{k+1}}{L}{} : \ e=e^\prime
>\,\Leftrightarrow\,  \leftidx{^{k}}{\mu}{}(e) =
>\leftidx{^{k+1}}{\mu}{}(e^\prime),
>\end{equation*}
>
>\item[(b)] (equality on equivalence classes of the same grid)
>\begin{equation*}
>\forall e,e^\prime\in\leftidx{^{k}}{L}{} : \
>\leftidx{^{k}}{\mu}{}(e) = \leftidx{^{k}}{\mu}{}(e^\prime)
>\,\Leftrightarrow\, [e]=[e^\prime]
>\end{equation*}
>\end{enumerate}
>These properties imply that if an entity is contained in two
> subsequent grids the global leaf index does not change. If, however,
> $e\in\leftidx{^{k}}{L}{}$ and $e\in\leftidx{^{k+2}}{L}{}$ but
> not $e\in\leftidx{^{k+1}}{L}{}$ then the entity may have
> a different global index in $\leftidx{^{k}}{L}{}$ and
> $\leftidx{^{k+2}}{L}{}$.
> \hfill$\square$
>\end{defi}
>\oliver{Gibt es also globale Indices nur auf dem Blattgitter?  Das ist in
>der Implementierung anders.}
>
>\begin{rem}[Use of Index Maps] Computations on mesh sequences are assumed to be
> structured into alternating phases of work on a fixed grid and
> modifications of the grid to obtain the next grid in the sequence.
>While working on a fixed grid the level and
> leaf indices are used to access data in arrays with constant
> time complexity for each access. In the modification phase the global
> leaf index is used to transfer data from one grid to the next
> grid. During that phase data is typically stored in an intermediate
> data structure with logarithmic time complexity for each access.
> \mbox{}\hfill$\square$
>\end{rem}
>
>\section{Conclusions and Future Work}
>
>In this paper we have given a mathematically rigorous description of general
>grids in Euclidean spaces with arbitrary dimension including elements of
>various shapes, nonconformity,
>hierarchical local refinement, and parallel data decomposition. This
>description provides the foundation for an abstract grid interface
>realized as C++ classes as part of the
>``Distributed and Unified Numerics Environment'' \cite{duneweb}.
>A description of this interface and its implementation is given in the
>companion paper \cite{gridpaper_part2}.
>
>The grids covered by our formal description consist of sets of
>elements which are nonoverlapping on each processor.
>The dimensionality of the elements is arbitrary but
>equal for all elements in one grid. If overlapping grids or grids with
>elements of mixed dimension are required this is currently possible by
>employing different grid objects and coupling them together. A
>relaxation of these restrictions opens up one way for future developments

* Oliver Sander                ** email: sander at mi.fu-berlin.de        *
* Freie Universität Berlin     ** phone: + 49 (30) 838 75217           *
* Institut für Mathematik II   ** URL  : page.mi.fu-berlin.de/~sander  *
* 14195 Berlin, Germany        ** Member of MATHEON (www.matheon.de)   *