[Dune] [Dune-Commit] dune-common r5013 - trunk/m4

Robert Kloefkorn robertk at mathematik.uni-freiburg.de
Mon Nov 19 21:58:26 CET 2007

Hi Christian,

>> The answer to the first question is yes and the second no.
>> The AC_CHECK_LIB does compile a program and the check this program for
>> the symbol. If you know how to make AC_CHECK_wathever to simply check
>> that the lib acn be linked without searching for symbols, then please
>> tell me.
>
> For alugrid (and c++ libs in general) it will never be too easy to
> accomplish this. I think the easiest way is, if the lib contains a 'C'
> symbol (could oyu check for the alu-version... how is it stored? as a
> symbol? or as some define or enum?). All other symbols will be rather
> difficult to check, because they are mangled. In this case you can
> check for something like malloc. This will do a "can I find the lib
> with this name" test, but not check whether the lib is correct. But
> check ,,just'' the linking is already better than nothing.

That is why now the check does simply check malloc, because the check
for main does somehwo not work on PowerPC. I don't know why.
Unfortunately ther are no such symbols you mentioned above. I tested all
  possible things. The ALUGrid Version is not stored in the lib.

Regards

   Robert Klöfkorn           <robertk at mathematik.uni-freiburg.de>

   Mathematisches Institut              Tel: +49 (0) 761 203 5631
   Abt. für Angewandte Mathematik       Fax: +49 (0) 761 203 5632
   Universität Freiburg
   Hermann-Herder-Str. 10
   79104 Freiburg

   http://www.mathematik.uni-freiburg.de/IAM/homepages/robertk