[Dune] Release

Mario Ohlberger mario.ohlberger at uni-muenster.de
Thu Sep 27 11:09:05 CEST 2007

Oliver Sander schrieb:
> Markus Blatt schrieb:
>
>> On Thu, Sep 27, 2007 at 10:16:57AM +0200, Oliver Sander wrote:
>>

>>> In my humble opinion, the checks of 271 are regression tests, and if we
>>> consider
>>> them necessary they should be automated.
>>>

>> Unfortunately they are not automated. Anybody is welcome to do this.
>>
>> Further more I doubt that they can be, as
>> this is more than just a search for simple programming errors.
>>

>>> For my part I do not have the time
>>> to run them again after the sixth, seventh, and eighth beta release.
>>>

>> This probably applies to all of us. Still some testing would be nice.
>> We should release anyway before semester start.
>>
>> It is now or never, isn't it?
>>
>> Markus
>>

> I agree.  Actually, I think we are demanding way too much from
> the release.  We should accept that it cannot be bugfree and should
> rather target for a 1.1 soon rather than trying to get 1.0 perfect
> by iterating through a zillion of betas.
>
> --
> Oliver

I agree with both of you! In my opinion the current version is already
quite stable
and ready for a release.
Thus, I suggest to make a new tarball now. Then everbody has the chance
to test
it until October 14. In parallel, we set up a decision processes
according to our rules,
i.e. we query a vote of each developer whether he is for or against a
release
at October 15. Deadline for submission of votes is October 14.

Regards,

Mario

  Prof. Dr. Mario Ohlberger          Tel.: +49-251 83-33775
  Institut fuer Numerische und 	     Fax : +49 251 83-32729
  Angewandte Mathematik
  FB Mathematik und Informatik
  Universitaet Muenster
  Einsteinstrasse 62