[Dune] dune-grid r4244.

Oliver Sander sander at mi.fu-berlin.de
Mon Jul 14 17:07:22 CEST 2008

Hi!
Christian's statement reflects my views on this.  But I have a further
problem in that I still don't really understand what this several-
hundreds-of-lines patch does.  If you want to control your grid
type and dimension from the build system, why don't you simple
compile with something like

make CXXFLAGS=-DGridType=FooGrid

?

wonders,
Oliver

Christian Engwer schrieb:
> Hi Robert,
>

>> the purpose of this patch is to revise the code of the DGF parser in
>> order to compile this code into the grid lib to speed up compilation
>> time of user code. Also dimension != dimensionworld is currently not
>> running which is also changed by Martin and needed for one of our
>> projects.
>>

> I think it is good to compile the dgfparser int the lib. But this was
> not part of the patch in question.
>

>> Furthermore, things like the grid type should not be in one file that
>> cannot by expanded easily.
>>

> About this point I'd like to discuss. The gridtype.hh is a hack to
> allow stear your program using preprocessor defines. Tere are reasons
> why people like to have something like this, therefor it was provided
> as a utility. It should not be something to rely on. Now the latest
> changes made this part of the interface. Every grid has to provide the
> code to deal with these preprocessor switches.
>
> I don't like the idea of preprocessor macros being part of the
> interface. We tried to avoid them as much as possible.
>
> Cheers
>   Christian

* Oliver Sander                ** email: sander at mi.fu-berlin.de        *
* Freie Universität Berlin     ** phone: + 49 (30) 838 75217           *
* Institut für Mathematik II   ** URL  : page.mi.fu-berlin.de/~sander  *
* 14195 Berlin, Germany        ** Member of MATHEON (www.matheon.de)   *