[Dune] dune-grid r4244.

Robert Kloefkorn robertk at mathematik.uni-freiburg.de
Tue Jul 15 08:56:35 CEST 2008

 > About this point I'd like to discuss. The gridtype.hh is a hack to
 > allow stear your program using preprocessor defines.

Hi Christian, I suggest that you present a better way to provide at
least the same functionality as the gridtype.hh does without
preprocessor variables or you do not call this a hack only because YOU
are not using or understanding this piece of code.

 > If you want to control your grid
 > type and dimension from the build system, why don't you simple
 > compile with something like
 > make CXXFLAGS=-DGridType=FooGrid

Hi Oli, this is exactly what the gridtype.hh does. It defines a GridType
from a given set of preprocessor variables. Because nobody wants to
implement this new every time, there is one file in the grid module
doing this stuff. This file is very helpful if one actually wants to
compile the same code with different grid without changing the used
gridtype by uncommenting some lines of code itself. If somebody does not
want to use the gridtype.hh then he can still choose his favorite grid
the old fashioned way. Because of this, the gridtype.hh is not part of
the interface, although it is better to have the specific typedef inside
the grid implementation, and not one file doing this stuff for all the
grids available in dune-grid. This is what the patch of Martin changed.
It split up the available typedefs in the utility/gridtype.hh and moved
this to single files in the grid implementations.

I cannot see, why this is such a big deal. It really makes life easier
for us and it doesn't really bother you.

Best regards,

   Robert Klöfkorn           <robertk at mathematik.uni-freiburg.de>

   Mathematisches Institut              Tel: +49 (0) 761 203 5631
   Abt. für Angewandte Mathematik       Fax: +49 (0) 761 203 5632
   Universität Freiburg
   Hermann-Herder-Str. 10
   79104 Freiburg

   http://www.mathematik.uni-freiburg.de/IAM/homepages/robertk