[Dune] gcc 4.3 compatibility

Oliver Sander sander at mi.fu-berlin.de
Mon Jun 23 14:22:42 CEST 2008

Hi Martin!
I did not do exhaustive tests.  As I said, my own applications compile,
though.
That's mainly UGGrid, OneDGrid, YaspGrid, some dune-istl and dune-disc.
I am not saying that dune is g++-4.3-clear.  Only that there are a lot less
problems than I was expecting.

Apparently gcc-4.3 is the default for Debian Lenny as of today.  The
change has
not made it to the mirrors yet, though.

Martin Nolte schrieb:
> Hi Oliver,
>
> what exactly did you test and with which compiler version. For
> example, AlbertaGrid did not compile with gcc-4.3.1 (gentoo) till
> yesterday. I did not trouble to check everything, so I cannot really
> say what works and what does not. I just wanted to warn about possible
> trouble.
>
> Martin
>
> Oliver Sander wrote:
>> Hi Martin!
>> Feel free to update the documentation as you deem necessary.
>> My own impression, though, is that the transition to gcc 4.3 is not
>> very difficult after all.  At least all my applications compile without
>> any problems.
>>
>> --
>> Oliver
>>
>> Martin Nolte schrieb:
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> today I tried to compile some dune stuff using gcc 4.3.1. It did not
>>> work out of the box, though most errors I encountered were easy to
>>> fix. Reviewing the bugs (see changes in dune-grid:4187), I assume
>>> that the current releases do not work with the gcc 4.3 series. As
>>> the first linux distributions (e.g., Fedora) start using this gcc
>>> series, I thought we might hint this fact on our web sites.
>>>
>>> Moreover, I think we should monitor GCC bug 35989. It states that
>>> the following template specialization does not compile:
>>>
>>> template< class A >
>>> class B< std :: vector< A > :: iterator > {};
>>>
>>> I ran into a similar bug in my code.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Martin

* Oliver Sander                ** email: sander at mi.fu-berlin.de        *
* Freie Universität Berlin     ** phone: + 49 (30) 838 75217           *
* Institut für Mathematik II   ** URL  : page.mi.fu-berlin.de/~sander  *
* 14195 Berlin, Germany        ** Member of MATHEON (www.matheon.de)   *