[Dune] error calling configure for dune-disc-1.2svn

Markus Blatt Markus.Blatt at ipvs.uni-stuttgart.de
Fri Jun 27 13:01:17 CEST 2008

Dear Tatiana,

it seems like you did not use mailinlists or the usenet very often
until now. Otherwise you probably would have behaved in a different
way.

Unfortunately you have obviuously
1. not followed the advice you have been given:
  - to read documentation before asking
  - to rather use the tarballs instead of the svn (the latter really
    are bleeding edge!)
2. mailed your problem twice with different subjects. Which is just
   annoying
3. Your mailer seems to be broken! At least I get all your messages
twice. This is kind of annoying.

Probably most of the people, who are able to help you, simply already
ignore your mails. Because we neither have time nor do we get paid to
support people who obviously do put very little effort into reading
the provided documentation as well as in first sorrowly reading error
messages and trying to fix things themselves.

On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 02:33:28PM -0400, Tatiana Voitovich wrote:
> [...]
> configure: could not search for module dune-istl
> configure: error: pkg-config is required for using installed modules
> --- Failed to build dune-disc ---
> Execution of dunecontrol terminated due to errors!
> [...]

The first thought of the new Tatiana would be to install the program
pkg-config and try again.

Unfortunately then dunecontrol would probably claim that it cannot
find dune-istl.

She has read the download page
http://www.dune-project.org/download.html of the stable dune modules
sorrowly. (She is using the stable version as she is a newbie to
DUNE). Therefore she knows that dune-istl is the name of another
module and immediately installs it.

Having worked through the dune-grid-howto she already has dune-grid
installed. dune-disc depends on dune-grid, too.

Cheers,

Markus