[Dune] dune-localfunctions

Oliver Sander sander at mi.fu-berlin.de
Wed Nov 5 16:36:02 CET 2008

Hi Peter!
I still think that virtual methods are much easier to use than
template polymorphism.  I'll try to do some testing to know more
about the impact on efficiency.  (You may want to read the article
on devirtualization in the 2006 gcc summit proceedings).
The final decision should be made by the entire team at our
next meeting.

Greetings,
Oliver

Peter Bastian schrieb:
> Hi Oliver,
>
> there is one problem with the virtual functions. The idea with the
> recursive definition of CkLocalFunctionInterface we had at the meeting
> did not work out. Currently the method evaluate is a template method and
> thus cannot be virtual. Of course for testing it is sufficent to make
> evaluateFunction in C0LocalFunctionInterface virtual. If virtual
> functions are desired we have to think once more.
>
> Regards,
>
> Peter
>
> Am Dienstag, den 04.11.2008, 11:25 +0100 schrieb Oliver Sander:
>
>> Hi Peter!
>> Thanks a lot.  As agreed upon at our last meeting I will migrate the tests
>> from dune-disc.  I will also test an interface using virtual functions
>> and try to estimate its impact.  This will give us some facts when the final
>> interface will be discussed.
>>
>> --
>> Oliver
>>
>> Peter Bastian schrieb:
>>
>>> Hi developers,
>>>
>>> I prepared the new module dune-localfunctions as discussed ot the
>>> meeting on 06 October (up to some details that gave problems). I added
>>> the notes to the file  dune_treffen_061008.txt.
>>>
>>> You can now have a look at it and we can start discussion about it.
>>>
>>> I still have to adapt my code to these new interfaces, so not everything
>>> is checked so far.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>>
>>> Peter

* Oliver Sander                ** email: sander at mi.fu-berlin.de        *
* Freie Universität Berlin     ** phone: + 49 (30) 838 75217           *
* Institut für Mathematik      ** URL  : page.mi.fu-berlin.de/~sander  *
* 14195 Berlin, Germany        ** Member of MATHEON (www.matheon.de)   *