[Dune] [#445] Add a module for approximate comparison [patch] (Attachment added)

Mario Ohlberger mario.ohlberger at uni-muenster.de
Wed Oct 22 14:43:21 CEST 2008

I completely agree with Andreas!

It is possible that we did not complete our coding style,
but at least we fixed some basics (see webpage)
and I think we should stay with this!

Best

Mario

Andreas Dedner wrote:
> Hi,
> I always found it nice that at least the core
> modules (and up to a certain point also modules
> like dune-fem) follow the same coding style.
> For example changing the genericgeometries - which
> are to be moved to dune-common I think) to some
> stl type style, does not seem very cosistent to me.
>
> I thik that if something in a core module is in
> the DUNE namespace then it should be written along
> the coding styles given on the homepage and that
> style should not depend on which module something is
> in.
>
> Best
> Andreas
>
> On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 13:48:46 +0200
>  Christian Engwer <christi at uni-hd.de> wrote:
>
>> Hi Andreas,
>>

>>> I do not see any reason to change our coding style
>>> (documented on the dune homepage) and as far as I
>>> see it the code here seems to be written in the style
>>> use in the other dune modules. So what exactly is the
>>> suggestion for changing the style?
>>>
>> On the last meeting (and also before) we were discussing
>> the codign
>> style. We do have a coding style. But we were never ably
>> to completely
>> comply to the coding style. The problem erises for
>> example, where ever
>> you write a class that should be stl compatible. This
>> lead to the
>> situation where we have a wild mixture of camelcase and
>> stl-style code
>> in dune-common. I would not suggest to change the stye of
>> all
>> modules, bu the question is, how to procede in future. I
>> think we must
>> consider changing the dune-common style guidelines to
>> stl-style,
>> because especially in dune-common a lot of classes are
>> intended to be
>> stl compatible. This must not be a "we change everything
>> right away"
>> decision, but would affect new classes.
>>
>> I vote for a change in the coding style.
>>
>> Christian
>>
>> PS: Even in dune-grid the style is not completely
>> consistent. And many
>> 	aspects of coding style were never even discussed.

  Prof. Dr. Mario Ohlberger          Tel.: +49-251 83-33775
  Institut fuer Numerische und 	     Fax : +49 251 83-32729
  Angewandte Mathematik
  FB Mathematik und Informatik
  Universitaet Muenster
  Einsteinstrasse 62