[Dune] Dune and CMake

Christian Engwer christi at uni-hd.de
Tue Dec 8 12:41:19 CET 2009

Hi Rene,

> I think a set of FindX style scripts for the core modules would be an
> awesome thing to have, even if CMake as a replacement build-system is
> far-off / unwanted.

Could you please be more specific. What are "FindX style scripts".

I don't consider two buildsystems a viable solution. We have to
maintain both system, which means that we have duplicate work. If we
have a replacement I would consider a switch, but there must a _full_
replacement for dune-common, before I would even start discussing. We
have to be able to estimate the effort and dune-common is the "easy"
test case. There will be a lot more tests missing for dune-grid and
istl. The "everything is easy, but I don't do tests yet" argument is
fruitless. If you only use the vanilla configure without any
additional tests, everything is fast and easy as well. The challenge
is in a buildsystem that works well with the modules concept of Dune,
where easy module can add additional requirements/tests, additional
functionality and so on.

BTW: I like the fact that people are discussing about how to improve
  Dune, but I have the feeling that the are more urgent problems than
  the buildsystem.