[Dune] Dune and CMake

Rene Milk rene.milk at uni-muenster.de
Tue Dec 8 12:24:52 CET 2009

Hello Dune,

I've been using CMake to build my DUNE module for some time now too.
This semester I also use it in a DUNE related course I supervise where
students are required to hand in single-source homework assignments each
week that need to be built against a set of commonly accessible DUNE
modules.
The setup I use is very bare bones. There are no checks for required
libraries at configure time for example. Still, I find it very
convenient to be able to hand a single CMakeLists.txt to the students
they can use to build their assignments wherever they like.

> I see two advantages:
> - CMake is very fast. Configuring takes almost no time.
> - Out of source builts are standard.
I would add:
- Makefile generators, not only 'plain' unix Makefiles, but project
files for some IDEs ( Code::Blocks, Eclipse, KDevelop, VS even )
- curses and Qt based interfaces to edit configure options (ccmake,
cmake-gui)

I think a set of FindX style scripts for the core modules would be an
awesome thing to have, even if CMake as a replacement build-system is
far-off / unwanted.

Regards,
Rene

  Rene Milk
  Westfaelische Wilhelms-Universitaet Muenster
  Institut fuer Numerische und Angewandte Mathematik
  Orleans-Ring 10, R. 120.212
  48149 Muenster               Tel. +49 251 83-35131
  Germany