[Dune] Release Update

Oliver Sander sander at mi.fu-berlin.de
Fri Mar 6 11:22:51 CET 2009

Hi Martin

> - The 3d grid factory for ALUGrid still needs to have all boundary faces
> inserted. While fixing this would be easy, the algorithm will be O( n log n ).
> Maybe I can do this during the next week. It would still mean that the code is
> pretty new for a release...

That would be great.  I don't think nLogn will be a big problem there.

> - The grid factory for ALUGrid is currently only implemented in 3d. The 2d grid
> factory has yet to be implemented. I think this should be postponed to 1.3,
> since nobody (including me) is willing to implement this right now.

Okay, if the 3d implementation doesn't even exist, then this is of course
not a 1.2 issue.
> - To test the problem between the ALUGrid factory and the Amiramesh reader I
> would need this Amira stuff (I once tried that, but failed). Could you give me a
> fool proof guide how to get the Amiramesh reader working with, e.g., UG?

This is described on the homepage.  If there are errors or ambiguities in
the text please let me know and I'll fix them.
> - The level intersection iterator for AlbertaGrid will be back eventually. I
> pretty much know what has to be done. Yet, it will take a lot of time and the
> changes will also affect the leaf intersections. Could we agree on having this
> implemented in 1.3?

Yes we can (no pun intended).  Could you please put this information in
the FlySpray thread?

> As we want to use the release for the DUNE course at the end of march, time is a
> bit pressing. For the sake of stability, I think we should avoid making further
> changes that potentially break anything. I'm not even feeling too well on
> touching the ALUGrid factory again, as it is used in the DGF parser for ALUGrid.

I agree.

> Maybe we could hear some more opinions on this...
>
> Yours,
>
> Martin
>

> Oliver Sander wrote:
>
>> Dear Dune!
>> The next release is getting closer.  The mysterious build problem 501
>> spontaneously disappeared.  A first release candidate has been
>> published and I'm sure everybody is busy testing it.
>>
>> There are only four bugs left that are tagged for 1.2.  One of them
>> (324, a OneDGrid bug) is assigned to me and I will fix that tomorrow.
>> The next two, 372 and 436 concern the GridFactory and ALUGrid.
>> I consider this a very important feature and I am not willing to
>> release 1.2 without it.  As for the last one, 51,  I wonder what the
>> status of that is.  There has been lots of work in AlbertaGrid
>> recently.  Has 51 been fixed?
>>
>> I'll be away from my mail for the next week.
>>
>> Yours,
>> Oliver [release manager]

* Oliver Sander                ** email: sander at mi.fu-berlin.de        *
* Freie Universität Berlin     ** phone: + 49 (30) 838 75348           *
* Institut für Mathematik      ** URL  : page.mi.fu-berlin.de/~sander  *
* 14195 Berlin, Germany        ** Member of MATHEON (www.matheon.de)   *