[Dune] New subentity numbering

Oliver Sander sander at mi.fu-berlin.de
Fri May 8 15:12:26 CEST 2009

Hi all!
I would like to state my explicit and total agreement with what Sven has
written.  If there is no advantage to the new numbering of simplices and
cubes (and we have not found any), then I think we should go back to
the old numbers.

Sven Marnach schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> yesterday, Peter, Christian, Oliver and me discussed a bit about the
> new subentity numbering.
>
> I spent several days "renumbering" the dune-pdelab code.  After
> tedious renaming and some tricky debugging, the code works again --
> and does the same as before.  I did not really get the feeling of
> having achieved anything -- the code just does the same as before.
>
> This raises the question: What is the use of the renumbering after
> all, especially from a DUNE user's point of view?  If we release the
> next version of DUNE, we must tell the users that they have to put a
> serious amount of time and energy into making their code do the same
> as before, without any discernible advantage.  Hmm.
>
> We ourselves already spent quite some time for this transition, but
> there is still a lot of code out there which is not ported to the new
> numbering, and we did not release a DUNE version with the new
> numbering.  Things are not beyond remedy up to now.
>
> Is it really impossible to rewrite the generic geometry stuff in a way
> that it preserves the old numbering, at least for simplices and cubes?
> The cubes were generated generically before, so this should still be
> possible.  And I don't see any reason why it should not be possible
> for the simplices.  Prisms and pyramids would probably still need
> renumbering, but they are rarely used anyway.  And the effort needed
> to adapt the generic geometry implementation is almost certainly less
> than the effort needed to port the remaining code.  (Of course we
> should have done this right from the start.  It would have saved me
> renumbering PDElab.  Well, we didn't.)
>
> There are other problems about the transition.  The documenatation is
> really incomplete.  Just an example from the documentation of the
> Mapper class:
>
> template<int cc>
> int map (const typename G::Traits::template Codim<0>::Entity &e, int i) const
>     Map subentity i of codim cc of a codim 0 entity to array index.
>
> int map (const typename G::Traits::template Codim<0>::Entity &e, int i, unsigned int codim) const
>     Map subentity i of codim cc of a codim 0 entity to array index.
>
> Not a single word about the differences, nor about which is the old
> and which is the new method, and that it is dangerous to mix the use
> of old and new methods.  Furthermore, 95 % of the code in
> grid/genericgeometry is without any documentation (not even
> comments!).  Even parts of the code that are meant to be directly used
> by DUNE users are lacking any documentation (for example
> GenericReferenceElements).  And finally, the transition page itself is
> all but complete (for example, no word about the orientation changes
> of subentities).
>
> To be clear about this:  I really like that we have generic geometries
> now -- they facilitate new grid implementations and reduce code
> duplication.  But I can't see any advantages of the new numbering, and
> [...]

* Oliver Sander                ** email: sander at mi.fu-berlin.de        *
* Freie Universität Berlin     ** phone: + 49 (30) 838 75348           *
* Institut für Mathematik      ** URL  : page.mi.fu-berlin.de/~sander  *
* 14195 Berlin, Germany        ** Member of MATHEON (www.matheon.de)   *