[Dune] New subentity numbering

Martin Nolte nolte at mathematik.uni-freiburg.de
Fri May 8 16:11:18 CEST 2009

Hi all,

obviously, the documentation on the generic geometry stuff is still far from
perfect. And honestly, neither Andreas nor myself have enough time to provide
what you guys want. If you don't know what something does you can always ask us,
but not in this tone.

As to missing user-visible documentation: Either write it yourself or tell us in
a friendly tone which important part of the documentation is missing. The
example of the reference element does not hold water, since it is a 1:1 clone of
the methods of the old one (and they can be documented by whoever introduced the
(i,c,ii,cc) notation).

With respect to changes in the numbering, I can say the following. When the
introduction was discussed in Berlin (February 2008), Peter was asked to provide
the formula for the old numbering of cubes. He has not done so. To get to work,
we tried our best to come as close as possible to the old cube numbering. With
respect to simplices, there was nothing generic in that numbering (or can
anybody tell me how the triangle numbering is embedded into the tetrahedron?).
Moreover, if you consider the line a 1d simplex, opposite-vertex numbering
definitely will not work.

I am sure that there are many other possibilities of getting a generic
numbering. Obviously, there is a generic numbering that is exactly identical to
the old dune numbering: just start with 4d stuff. I remember that we openly
discussed in Heidelberg, which of these two ways to go (and everybody who read
the discussion FlySpray tasks knew what this change meant). So, unless someone
has a suggestion for a better generic numbering, I would ask him not to mourn
about our solution.

If you really think we should switch back to the non-generic numbering (except
for cubes, where the documentation is also missing), feel free to say so or call
a vote on this.

In case this e-mail hurts somebodies feelings, I want to apologize in advance.
The destructive criticism of the previous mails is not easy to take, if you
respect the opinion the authors.

Yours,

Martin