[Dune] H5Fed into Dune as a grid manager, comments, ideas ???

Oswald Benedikt Benedikt.Oswald at psi.ch
Thu Nov 12 17:17:06 CET 2009

Dear Dune,

on behalf of Achim Gsell (PSI) and myself I would like to ask for comments
regarding the integration of our storage standard H5Fed into Dune as a grid manager.

You may remember our H5Fed project

(https://h5.psi.ch/twiki/bin/view/Main/H5Fed/WebHome)

for persistently storing hierarchical, tetrahedral grids, including hanging nodes.

H5Fed in the serial version is nearly completed. Parallelization is imminent.

H5Fed is also capable of storing data associated with entities of all codimensions in
a tetrahedral grids. H5Fed computes all  adjacencies, upwards and downwards.

NOW, we want to integrate H5Fed into Dune as a (parallel) grid manager,
in a way like other grid managers are connected to Dune:

The questions are:
===========

1) should we use and follow the grid factory paradigm ?

2) If we follow the grid factory approach, would it be good to add write routines as well ?

3) are there specfic preferences for things like overlap sizes, ghost elements, border zones
     in the parallel case ?

4) anything else you think relevant ???

Thanks very much for your comments and have a great day! Benedikt

Benedikt Oswald, Dr. sc. techn., dipl. El. Ing. ETH, www.psi.ch, Computational Accelerator Scientist
Paul Scherrer  Institute (PSI), CH-5232 Villigen, Suisse, benedikt.oswald at psi.ch, +41(0)56 310 32 12
"Passion is required for any great work, and for the Revolution passion and audacity are required in big doses.",
Ernesto 'Che' Guevara, Letter to his parents.
http://maxwell.psi.ch/amaswiki/index.php/User:BenediktOswald