[Dune] Transition from SmartPointer to shared_ptr

Markus Blatt Markus.Blatt at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Thu Oct 15 10:48:17 CEST 2009

Hi,

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 06:43:05PM +0200, Oliver Sander wrote:
> This was never mentioned, because I myself only learned about
> it when trying to run the smartpointer test with the tr1 implementation
> of shared_ptr.  This emphasizes the reason why I think following
> the standard library exactly is a good thing:  when something is
> almost like a standard people (me, foremost) tend to think that
> it behaves completely like the standard.  I did compare method
> names but this semantic change escaped me.

AFAIK tr1 was finalized in 2005. Our Smartpointer was added
2004. (There was a proposal back then, but I did not care to look at
it or even knew about it). This made behaving like a standard as hard as
forseeing the future.

Maybe we should have a real discussion about moving already existing
implementation to the standard. This is discussion is more urgent than
ever, as we do not know if some developers will be around in a few
years. Then changes like this one can lead to really hard to find
bugs. Fixing them might consume much of our precious time needed
elsewhere.

Cheers,

Markus