[Dune] Dune user meeting?

Bernd Flemisch bernd at iws.uni-stuttgart.de
Fri Oct 16 16:20:31 CEST 2009

Dear Dune,

thanks for participating in the poll, and thanks to Oliver for counting
12 entries from 8 groups out of 4 countries. Subtracting the (to my
knowledge) around 4 developers still leaves around 8 users from around 6
institutions.

I would say this exceeds the critical mass we need to have for a
potentially nice and fruitful first Dune user meeting. What do the other
users/developers think?

I would contact the potential helpers and hosts (thanks for
volunteering!) and most likely get back to you with a new poll for
establishing a date for the meeting.

Kind regards, have a nice weekend
Bernd

> Dear Dune,
>
> I created a doodle poll to find out how much interest for a Dune user
> meeting actually is out there.
>
> So please, Dune users (and I guess that 100% of the developers are also
> users), participate at
> http://www.doodle.com/vzx9zbnz7aup8485
>
> I will keep it open until Friday, 9.10.
>
> Kind regards
> Bernd
>

>> Hi Bernd!
>> I also think that a Dune user meeting may be a good idea.  The
>> reason why I hesitate to propose such a thing is that I am not
>> sure how much interest there is out there.  I wouldn't like to
>> organize such a meeting and then not have any attendance.
>>
>> Ideally, such a meeting could come from the user community
>> itself, without direct intervention of the developers (you can read
>> this as a hint if you like, but you don't have to :-) )  I am sure
>> developers would attend a community-organized user meeting.
>>
>> Let me close by making clear we welcome interested users at
>> the developer meetings, like the one next months.
>>
>> Yours,
>> Oliver
>>
>> Bernd Flemisch schrieb:
>>
>>> Dear Dune,
>>>
>>> I think the thought appeared already previously on this list, maybe you
>>> can discuss it on your developer meeting: What about an official Dune
>>> user meeting?
>>>
>>> I think that it would be great for the users to get personally in touch
>>> with other users and with the developers. And it should be very
>>> interesting for the developers, too.
>>>
>>> Of course, I would be happy to assist you in organizing such a meeting.
>>>
>>> Kind regards
>>> Bernd

Bernd Flemisch                               phone: +49 711 685 69162
IWS, Universität Stuttgart                   fax:   +49 711 685 60430
Pfaffenwaldring 61                  email: bernd at iws.uni-stuttgart.de
D-70569 Stuttgart                  url: www.hydrosys.uni-stuttgart.de