[Dune] Dune registered at ohloh.net

Markus Blatt Markus.Blatt at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Fri Sep 11 11:57:06 CEST 2009

Hi,

despite thinking that this discussion is superfluous I will give my
two cents on this topic.

On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 03:46:56PM +0200, Andreas Dedner wrote:
> what is the point of having commit ratings? Should everybody now try
> to boost their rating by committing a lot of small documentation fixes
> (one commit per error corrected). Most of us have to apply for
> jobs somewhere and one should keep in mind that all public information
> on the web might be used here.

Of course it is not of much use. Still it tells you that this guy
knows C++ programming. And if he has commits over some years it is
more likely that he is an experiences programmer.

BTW: If somebody diggs out this information in the job application
process, you are probably way past the first scan of Human Resources
and they are really considering you for the job. It is likely that the
tech guys (how need to give thumbs up) know how to interpret this
information. (Even without the information of the website: If I wanted
to employ you and saw DUNE on your resumee, I would probably check it
out. It is easy to get the same kind of metrics directly from the svn
tree as this is an open source problem).

And another point: If you are not applying for code monkey's job, I
would be much more concerned about what I said on this and other
mailinglists. This information is much easier to find and connect to
you even by HR. And some of the posts might not be signs of good social
skills.

> That said, it is great that DUNE is more visible through the new web
> page only the form seems to us problematic.

The first is a good point and I totally agree with it. Overall I think
it is positive that we are listed. (Maybe we even get some good
reviews, how knows?)

Just my two cents.

Markus