[Dune] m4 cleanup

Elias Pipping pipping.elias at googlemail.com
Fri Sep 11 15:01:12 CEST 2009

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 2:52 PM, Christian Engwer <christi at uni-hd.de> wrote:
> Hi Sven,
>
>> > $() is a bashism and `` is posix-sh.
>>
>> you are wrong with this one:
>>
>>     http://opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/utilities/xcu_chap02.html#tag_02_06_03
>>
>> $() _is_ POSIX and is generally considered to be the better solution.
>> It is much more flexible -- for example it can be nested, which is
>> impossible with ``.  There are other advantages as well, but I forgot
>> what exactly they are.
>
> You are right and I am wrong, but still I remember that there was a
> reason not to use it for portable code and now I found the reference again:
>
> http://www.linuxtopia.org/online_books/linux_development_tools/autoconf_guide/autoconf_reference_guide_130.html
>
> The autoconf guide states that certain shell implementations, e.g. on
> solaris, do not support $() although it is posix.

Solaris should be the only notable OS that still has such a /bin/sh.
Solaris comes w/ ksh, too, btw, so it's only a problem if one wants it
to be one. But going w/ backticks will suffice in this case. I
expected autom4te to be able to parse the file which it isn't, aclocal
1.9 has no problem w/ it, though (aclocal 1.10/1.11 can't be used
because of problems w/ DUNE_AC_INIT).

I get a warning btw

  configure.ac:15: warning: DUNE_CHECK_MOD_DEPENDENCIES is
m4_require'd but not m4_defun'd

-- Elias