[Dune] Status of 2.0 release

Dan Popovic dan.popovic at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Fri Apr 9 17:21:34 CEST 2010

Am Freitag, den 09.04.2010, 16:44 +0200 schrieb Christian Engwer:
> Dear all,
>
> > * What is the status of the gmsh-reader/UG problem? Is there a fix
> >   that could be backported?
>
> I have discussed this problem with Dan. It seems that working
> boundaryprojections are out of sight atm (at least for the gmsh
> reader). The problem is that the mapping between reference face and
> the boundarysemnet differs from the mapping between reference face and
> the face-in-the-cell-sub-entity. They have a different orientation.
>
> UG does complain that the orientation is wrong and throws an
> exception. The other two grid managers accept the file. My main
> concern is, if they handle the segments correctly. As I undestand the
> problem in UG, it is that you have to specify a point local
> coordinates of the boundary segment. If this point is wrong, the whole
> projection is wrong. Might this problem occure in ALU or Alberta
> aswell?
>
> In order to get at least the linear boundary segments working again,
> it would be necessary to add the insert-method with only the vertex
> parameter to alugrid and alberta. I think if we move the
> lineaboundaryegment-default Implementation to the boudanrysegemnt
> header this fix would be really easy.

Actually, the gmsh test with explicit insertion of linear boundary
segments with Alberta and ALUGrid gives

reading AlbertaGrid<2>
Reading 2d Gmsh grid...
version 2 Gmsh file detected
file contains 248 nodes
file contains 498 elements
number of real vertices = 242
number of boundary elements = 97
number of elements = 389
NotImplemented: AlbertaGrid::insertBoundarySegment without a
parametrization function

and

reading ALUSimplexGrid<2,2>
Reading 2d Gmsh grid...
version 2 Gmsh file detected
file contains 248 nodes
file contains 498 elements
number of real vertices = 242
number of boundary elements = 97
number of elements = 389
NotImplemented: insertBoundarySegment with a single argument

respectively. Like Christian said, it is due to the fact that in the
gmshreader, insertBoundarySegment' is called without a 'real' geometry
for linear boundary segments. Before rev #6403 the segments were
explicitly inserted.

Regards, Dan