[Dune] Comment on compiler discussion.

Robert Kloefkorn robertk at mathematik.uni-freiburg.de
Mon Feb 15 09:18:05 CET 2010

Dear folks,

just on comment to the question whether to drop gcc 3.4.x and icc7.

To my opinion we should drop the support of these old compilers.
Nobody is using these anymore. Otherwise, some people would complained
about code that is not compiling much earlier. Also, to maintain the
software for various compiler is more time consuming, time that we could
use to do better things (e.g. make SGrid faster....).

Standard conformity of a compiler does not mean much. There is a C++
standard, ok. But actually the standard is defined by the compilers
mostly used, whether you like it or not. And this is why we have to
stick to what the compilers we want to use (all of them) allow us to do.

 From this point of view we should support standard compilers compilers
such as gcc4.1.2 and gcc4.3.4, for example. Also, the current version of
icc (or that not to old version somebody has a license for). It might be
clever to also support compilers like xlc, if possible.

Best Regards,

   Dr. Robert Klöfkorn         <robertk at mathematik.uni-freiburg.de>

   Mathematisches Institut              Tel: +49 (0) 761 203 5631
   Abt. für Angewandte Mathematik       Fax: +49 (0) 761 203 5632
   Universität Freiburg
   Hermann-Herder-Str. 10
   79104 Freiburg

   http://www.mathematik.uni-freiburg.de/IAM/homepages/robertk