[Dune] Comment on compiler discussion.

Oliver Sander sander at mi.fu-berlin.de
Mon Feb 15 11:49:55 CET 2010

On the subject of differences between compilers, you may find the following
interesting

http://cacm.acm.org/magazines/2010/2/69354-a-few-billion-lines-of-code-later/fulltext

I guess we should consider ourselves lucky :-)

Robert Kloefkorn schrieb:
> Dear folks,
>
> just on comment to the question whether to drop gcc 3.4.x and icc7.
>
> To my opinion we should drop the support of these old compilers.
> Nobody is using these anymore. Otherwise, some people would complained
> about code that is not compiling much earlier. Also, to maintain the
> software for various compiler is more time consuming, time that we
> could use to do better things (e.g. make SGrid faster....).
>
> Standard conformity of a compiler does not mean much. There is a C++
> standard, ok. But actually the standard is defined by the compilers
> mostly used, whether you like it or not. And this is why we have to
> stick to what the compilers we want to use (all of them) allow us to do.
>
> From this point of view we should support standard compilers compilers
> such as gcc4.1.2 and gcc4.3.4, for example. Also, the current version
> of icc (or that not to old version somebody has a license for). It
> might be clever to also support compilers like xlc, if possible.
>
> Best Regards,

* Oliver Sander                ** email: sander at mi.fu-berlin.de        *
* Freie Universität Berlin     ** phone: + 49 (30) 838 75348           *
* Institut für Mathematik      ** URL  : page.mi.fu-berlin.de/~sander  *
* 14195 Berlin, Germany        ** Member of MATHEON (www.matheon.de)   *