[Dune] Curvilinear Tetrahedral Elements

Oliver Sander sander at mi.fu-berlin.de
Tue Jul 13 00:01:44 CEST 2010

Hi Benedikt!
As far as I know, no grid manager currently supports
isoparametric elements, and I don't know of anybody
working on this.

A long time ago I built second order geometries into
2d UGGrid.  That worked, but it seriously messed up
the code.  I later started playing with the idea of
having a meta grid that turns a grid with straight
tetrahedra and a boundary parametrization into an
isoparametric one, but that idea never got anywhere.
I still think it's a pretty neat idea, though :-)

Supporting them should be a lot easier, now that we
have the generic geometries.  Still I think extending
existing grid managers may be pretty messy.

best,
Oliver

Am 2010-07-12 14:09, schrieb Benedikt Oswald:
> Dear Dune,
>
> as it happens, curvilinear tetrahedral elements
> have a strong tendency to become ever more important,
> also and especially for us.
>
> I wanted to inquire what the plans are, if any, to have them
> in Dune ?
>
> Or, did I overlook them and there is already such
> functionality available ?
>
> Would it be very difficult to extend existing grid managers
> to provide curvilinear elements ?
>
> All the best and 'hot' greetings from PSI,
>
> Benedikt

> Benedikt Oswald, Dr. sc. techn., dipl. El. Ing. ETH, www.psi.ch, Computational Accelerator Scientist, http://amas.web.psi.ch
> Paul Scherrer  Institute (PSI), CH-5232 Villigen, Suisse, benedikt.oswald at psi.ch, +41(0)56 310 32 12
>
> "Passion is required for any great work, and for the revolution passion and audacity are required in big doses.",
>   Ernesto 'Che' Guevara, Letter to his parents.

* Oliver Sander                ** email: sander at mi.fu-berlin.de        *
* Freie Universität Berlin     ** phone: + 49 (30) 838 75348           *
* Institut für Mathematik      ** URL  : page.mi.fu-berlin.de/~sander  *
* 14195 Berlin, Germany        ** Member of MATHEON (www.matheon.de)   *