[Dune] Significance of Parameters in grid communication method

Benedikt Oswald Benedikt.Oswald at psi.ch
Fri May 14 09:30:33 CEST 2010

Thanks! This solves my problem. Greetings, Benedikt

On May 13, 2010, at 11:27 PM, Christian Engwer wrote:

> Hi, you can find an introduction in section 9 of the grid-howto.
>
> On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 10:58:10PM +0200, Jö Fahlke wrote:
>> Am Thu, 13. May 2010, 19:40:06 +0200 schrieb Oswald Benedikt:
>>> Dear Dune,
>>>
>>> when using the communicate method of a grid (ALUGridSimplex(3,3)
>>> in my case)
>>> I can choose between:
>>>
>>> Dune::InteriorBorder_All_Interface
>
> The Dune::InteriorBorder_All_Interface sends data associated with
> Interior/Border entities to any process which has a copy of this
> entity (Border, Overlap or Ghost).
>

>>> and
>>>
>>> Dune::InteriorBorder_InteriorBorder_Interface
>
> The Dune::InteriorBorder_InteriorBorder_Interface sends data
> associated with Interior/Border entities to any process which
> has a this entity ans an Interior (impossible) or Border entity.
>
> This means for example: if you communicate cell data, nothing
> happens. If you communicate vertex data, the data of vertices on the
> processor boundary is communicated.
>
> Cheers Christian
>

>>> what is the difference between the two ?
>>
>> There should only be a difference if you have a grid with overlap
>> (which I
>> believe you don't have).  In the case of
>> InteriorBorder_All_Interface,
>> overlap entities on the receiving side may receive something, which
>> in the
>> case of InteriorBorder_InteriorBorder_Interface no overlap entities
>> will
>> receive anything.
>>
>> I'm not sure about grids with a ghost layer, but I'd guess ghost
>> cells are
>> included in _All_ as well.
>>
>> Bye,
>> Jö.

Benedikt Oswald, Dr. sc. techn., dipl. El. Ing. ETH, www.psi.ch,
Computational Accelerator Scientist, http://amas.web.psi.ch
Paul Scherrer  Institute (PSI), CH-5232 Villigen, Suisse, benedikt.oswald at psi.ch
, +41(0)56 310 32 12

"Passion is required for any great work, and for the revolution
passion and audacity are required in big doses.",
  Ernesto 'Che' Guevara, Letter to his parents.