[Dune] Initial work on Debian packaging

Oliver Sander sander at mi.fu-berlin.de
Mon May 17 16:04:16 CEST 2010

Dear Dune!
I have recently spent some time trying to build Debian packages
for the Dune 2.0 modules.  So far I have not been able to obtain
a working package, but I still like to briefly mention what has been
done.  Maybe someone enjoys playing around with this a little.

Christian has set up a new svn repository for the Debian control
files.  Its address is https://svn.dune-project.org/svn/dune-debian.
@Christian: Could the commit-message be sent to the dune-commits
mailing list, please?

Here's my current knowledge of how to build a Debian package for
the 2.0 dune-common module.  I have only worked on dune-common 2.0
so far.

1) Get the release tarball dune-common-2.0.tar.gz and unpack it
2) cd dune-common-2.0
3) Get the debian control files for this module and release:
     svn checkout
https://svn.dune-project.org/svn/dune-debian/branches/2.0/dune-common debian
4) Build the package by
     dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc
     (the options tell dpkg not to sign the module.  I haven't really
      figured out how signing works, yet)

For me this procedure creates dune-common1_2.0-1_i386.deb and
dune-common-dev_2.0-1_i386.deb, but they appear to be empty.
I'll keep trying but any help is welcome.

* Oliver Sander                ** email: sander at mi.fu-berlin.de        *
* Freie Universität Berlin     ** phone: + 49 (30) 838 75348           *
* Institut für Mathematik      ** URL  : page.mi.fu-berlin.de/~sander  *
* 14195 Berlin, Germany        ** Member of MATHEON (www.matheon.de)   *