[Dune] A problem with ALUGrid

Jö Fahlke jorrit at jorrit.de
Tue Nov 2 18:04:32 CET 2010

Am Tue,  2. Nov 2010, 16:56:07 +0100 schrieb arya fallahi:
> I have compiled my code with both -g and -g3. However, I do not get anything
> more than before. The message I get is exactly like before. I would like to
> mention that the code was performing completely OK with no problem. I did
> not change anything on this code and only the Alugrid or Dune codes should
> have been changed to cause this problem.

Using "-g" might not always be enough to get meaningful debugging output.
Other things that might improve debugging are switching off all optimizations
by putting "-O0" into the CXXFLAGS (and possibly CFLAGS for the compilation of
ALUGrid, can't hurt in any case).  Another thing is putting "-UNDEBUG" into
the CPPFLAGS to make sure that the code is compiled with extra runtime checks.

If all that fails to yield any useful info, you can try to find out which
patch exactly caused your problem.  This is possible since you say that your
code worked before.  Though this is tedious, it is often the only way to get
to the root of the problem.

You can use "bisection" to find the commit that caused the problem: Try to
find a set of versions of ALUGrid and Dune where your code was running, then
try a version about halfway between the latest known-good and the earliest
known-bad version.  Repeat until you have singled out the commit that caused
the problem.  Note that there may be versions in between which fail for other
reasons, in that case you have to skip that version an try a nearby version
instead.  Since you use a set of repositories, it is probably best to use a
definition of "half-way" in terms of the date instead of revision numbers.
Note that there are tools that can help you to somewhat automate the
bisection.

Bye,
Jö.

--
Kiss a non-smoker; taste the difference.
-- fortune