[Dune] BLAS on Mac OS X

Steffen Müthing steffen.muething at ipvs.uni-stuttgart.de
Wed Nov 10 14:31:39 CET 2010

Hi Patrick,

the options you should set in your opts file are --with-blas=blas and --with-lapack=lapack (actually,
it should even work without them).

But the real problem is that you don't have Fortran installed. configure tries to figure out
the Fortran name-mangling scheme for function names by compiling a number of test programs.
But without a Fortran compiler, all compilations will fail, causing the name-mangling of the BLAS
functions to fail in turn (the resulting BLAS test tries to find a symbol called "unknown" in the BLAS
library).

To cut a long story short, you need Fortran. But judging from you environment, you already have MacPorts
installed (in /opt/local), which can build gfortran for you as part of gcc - you just have to pick your version
(anything between gcc 4.2 and gcc 4.5 should work, the packages are called gcc43 etc., the resulting
binaries gcc-mp-4.x) - and bring some coffee.

Steffen