[Dune] C++ visibility

Oliver Sander sander at mi.fu-berlin.de
Tue Nov 30 11:43:28 CET 2010

Does it lead to improvements in start-up time or run-time
that you can quantify?

Am 30.11.2010 11:11, schrieb Oliver Sander:
> The visibility stuff has been in gcc for quite a while.
> To me, library load times and sizes never seemed to be a
> problem in Dune.  Better optimization is of course always
> welcome, however I find it difficult from the description
> to estimate the actual impact on code such as ours.
> How would a decent benchmark look, and could that
> be done with reasonable effort?
>
> --
> Oliver
>
> Am 30.11.2010 10:46, schrieb Christian Engwer:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> concerning library load times and compiler optimizations, I'd like to
>> bring the following g++ article to your attention.
>>
>> http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/Visibility
>>
>> I'm not sure how much work it would be to make use of "visibility" in
>> Dune, but on the long term scale we should have a look into this.
>>
>> Christian

* Oliver Sander                ** email: sander at mi.fu-berlin.de        *
* Freie Universität Berlin     ** phone: + 49 (30) 838 75348           *
* Institut für Mathematik      ** URL  : page.mi.fu-berlin.de/~sander  *
* 14195 Berlin, Germany        ** Member of MATHEON (www.matheon.de)   *