[Dune] [Dune-Commit] dune-common r6145 - trunk/dune/common

Jö Fahlke jorrit at jorrit.de
Tue Sep 14 15:04:17 CEST 2010

Am Mon, 13. Sep 2010, 12:08:08 +0200 schrieb Carsten Gräser:
> Restriction to ASCII would also be fine. If we don't do this (as
> it is currently the case) using utf-8 everywhere is IMHO much
> better than any iso-something that was used before in some places.

I really do see very little benefit in prohibiting utf8 in comments.  IMO, the
only reason would some common development tool (i.e. compiler, doxygen, common
editor) not coping with it.  Even if some user tools don't support utf8, it
usually means you'll see something like "Jö" instead of "Jö", which is better
than "Joe" in my opinion (at least you know there is an umlaut).

> As german comments should be replaced anyway this will essentially
> affect names. Graeser is fine for me. What about Joe?

In general I like "Jö" best since that does not bring up the issue of "Hey,
Joe!".  However (especially if umlauts are not available), I will not be
offended if you write either "Joe" or "Jorrit", but I do slightly dislike them
both, so it's essentially "choose your poison".

Am Mon, 13. Sep 2010, 15:20:32 +0200 schrieb Markus Blatt:
> what about simply using the supported html character entities?
> see http://www.stack.nl/~dimitri/doxygen/htmlcmds.html

If we decide to ban utf8, this is certainly preferable to transliteration, but
only for doxygen documentation.  For other comments I would prefer
transliteration, since "Graeser" tends to be easier to read than
"Gräser".

Bye,
Jö.

--
Software is like sex; it's better when it's free.
-- Linus Torvalds