[Dune] Simplices Instead of Cubes

Jö Fahlke jorrit at jorrit.de
Thu Jan 6 20:43:30 CET 2011

Am Thu,  6. Jan 2011, 20:25:13 +0100 schrieb S. Swayamjyoti:
> I created a 3D grid of cubes of 3 X 3 X 3 with UG Grid and a DGF file where
> I had input vertices and cubes. Now when I slice the grid at half-plane, I
> find simplices instead of cubes. This is strange. Could somebody please
> explain?

Three possibilities come to mind:

 * You have instructed DGF to triangulate cubes into simplices (I *think*
   there is such in option -- look in the documentation).

 * Paraview is triangulating the grid when you apply the slice filter (in this
   case, if you don't apply the slice filter, you should see quadrilaterals
   instead of triangles on the surface of the dataset).

 * You are using the SubsamplingVTKWriter and set its "coerceToSimplex_"
   constructor argument to true (default is false, true means to write only
   tets to the VTK files, all other elements are decomposed into tets).

Bye,
Jö.

--
Gute Nacht Deutschland.