[Dune] Update of the official Homepage

Markus Blatt Markus.Blatt at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Mon Jun 6 13:19:25 CEST 2011

On Mon, Jun 06, 2011 at 11:13:07AM +0200, Felix Albrecht wrote:
> Last week, Mario O., Andreas D., Martin N., Christian E. and I had a
> discussion on how to achieve this. In principal it boils down to calling
> some modules (like pdelab and fem) discretization modules, rather than
> just external modules and adapt the homepage accordingly (see
> http://users.dune-project.org/attachments/73/dunedesign.png
> for a first iteration of the adapted Dune design).

Let me raise the question, what we want to achieve with the dune
design image.

The original image was very clear: It shows the hierachical dependency
of the modules and the applications. we have dune-common, then grid
istl using it, above that some discretization modules (actually subgrid and
hdf5 export already are of the wrong category, still they use some
core modules, thus it is OK). Ontop of that the applications. This
neatly shows modularity and dependency onto each other.

This hierachical structure is broken in the new image. Now we have
several grids (subgrid prismgrid, hdf5 export, multidomaingrid)
floating around the discretization modules. Why? Do they use/need
them? This is confusing.

Do we even need to mention all of these and leave the first time
lookers under the impression that prism, subgrid and multidomaingrid
are the grids to use when working with DUNE? Are they more mature than
Alberta ALU, Yasp?

I would opt for less but clearer information. Why not just show the
core modules, the discretization modules and the applications (and maybe
som 3rd party stuff to show extensibility:

applications

discretization modules

core modules                         | 3rd party base modules

Just my 2cents.

Markus
--
Markus Blatt, Interdisciplinary Center for Scientific Computing,
University Heidelberg, Im Neuenheimer Feld 368, D-69120 Heidelberg

'Mathematics knows no races or geographic boundaries; for
mathematics, the cultural world is one country' - David Hilbert