[Dune] Update of the official Homepage / dunedesign.png

Christian Engwer christian.engwer at uni-muenster.de
Fri Jun 10 15:25:52 CEST 2011

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 02:01:16PM +0200, Oliver Sander wrote:
> Hi Guys/Girls!
> Maybe before settling on an image we should have a clear idea about its
> purpose.  Is it to be some form of logo?  Then most proposals are still
> too complex.

Perhaps logo is the wrong word. The oroginal dunedesign figure was
(what the name suggests) a sketch of design/structure of dune. It
was never indended as a "which features does dune provide" map. But it
is also more than just a logo.

To give you an idea... here are other pictures of other projects,
roughly sketching how different libs/software-layers interact:
* http://wiki.interldap.ow2.org/xwiki/bin/download/GSoC/WUI-2008/InterLDAP-WUI-Software-Architecture.png
* http://www.linuxfordevices.com/files/misc/gnome_mobile_diagram2.jpg
* http://www.gnomejournal.org/images/204.png
* http://winfwiki.wi-fom.de/images/thumb/e/e2/Cloud_Service_Architecture_Sun.png/500px-Cloud_Service_Architecture_Sun.png
* http://www.linuxjunkies.org/programming/GUI/gnome/gnome-arch.gif
* http://www.luxboards.com/foswiki/pub/LuxBoards/SparX/SWE_hierarchy1.png
* http://techpubs.sgi.com/library/dynaweb_docs/0650/SGI_Developer/books/Perf_GetStarted/sgi_html/figures/02.1.Lib.hierarchy.gif
* http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/de/5/5b/Midgard-arch-small.png
* http://blogs.msdn.com/blogfiles/mikewalker/WindowsLiveWriter/SoftwareFactoriesforFinancialServices_DBAA/LO%20Layer%20Architecture_thumb.jpg
* http://i.msdn.microsoft.com/dynimg/IC170664.gif

I'm very much against a figure which is "feature-complete".

Christian