[Dune] Update of the official Homepage / dunedesign.png

Jö Fahlke jorrit at jorrit.de
Fri Jun 10 15:38:26 CEST 2011

Am Fri, 10. Jun 2011, 14:34:02 +0200 schrieb Oliver Sander:
> >More like this.  However, it shouldn't be detailed, it should just give an
> >overview.  And it shouldn't put too much emphasis on technical details.  More
> >like "where do I find the feature I need".  And if that precise feature is not
> >included in the overview, "where am I likely to find it if I dig deeper" or
> >"where would it end up if I implemented it myself".
>
> I am very sorry, but I don't see how any of the drawings show where to find
> "the features that I need", or "where to dig deeper".  If I need DG methods,
> Newton solvers, mortar assemblers etc., how would these pictures tell me
> where to find it?

Well, I was thinking more like a grid with some particular feature.  According
to the overview, I would first look in the core modules, specifically the grid
module.  If there is nothing that satiesfies me, the overview tells me there
are more grid modules not included in the core so I need to look at those.
Since there is no comprehensive list of grid modules (as indicated by the
\ldots) I possibly have to ask on the dune list.

Taking your example of the DG methods you'd have to look at the discretization
modules.

For a Newton you might first look at istl in the core modules[1].  Since there
is no such thing there, and neither the "discretization modules" category nor
the "extra grids" category particularly matches, you'll have to look at
external library modules (the "everything else" category).  Actually there is
a Newton in PDELab, this is an example there this does not work so well (on
the other hand, PDELab's Newton is not so easy to use outside the framework of
PDELab, I think).

[1] Hmm, if we want to highlight features instead of technical details, we may
    have to write "solvers" instead of "istl".  I faintly remember a module
    dune-solvers which may lead to confusion, so we should probably think of
    something better.

I'm not so familiar with mortar assemblers but "mortar" associates with
"special grid feature" and "assembler" associates with "discretization" in my
mind.  So I would look at the discretization modules or alternatively at the
grids provided by the core and then the extra grids.

> Attached is an illustration I use in my talks on Dune.  I find that one more
> informative (which doesn't mean it cannot be improved).

It certainly has the advantage that it shows that we build upon other stuff
outside the "Dune ecosystem", thus not claiming all the credit.

The "builds upon" relationship is made explicit by the arrows, which is
actually a good idea if it can be done without making the diagram too large
for the front page.  However, I tend to expect foundations to be at the
bottom, not to the left.

The categorization is somewhat differently.  Since there is no "everything
else" category, it gives the impression of beeing comprehensive, although it
isn't.

The main problem is that it takes up much more space than the other proposals
so far.  Once you've fixed that, and added "builds upon" arrows to the other
proposals, I don't think there would actually be much of a difference.

Bye,
Jö.

--
If God had intended Man to Smoke, He would have set him on Fire.
-- fortune