[Dune] Upcoming interface changes in dune-grid-glue

Christian Engwer christi at uni-hd.de
Sat Mar 5 23:34:44 CET 2011

Dear all,

the dune-grid-glue library is currently undergoing some major
changes. As we haven't got a dedicated grid-glue mailing list yet, I
want to use this oportunity to give all users a quick update and the
possibility give response.

Many changes are only under hood, and some concern the naming of
interface. So we are currently working on several improvements to
speed up the merging, safe some memory and have better scalability in
the parallel case. We work on a more generic interface to the two
involved grids and will drop the naming scheme of domain and target;
most often the user will have an interface where he can choose the
correspoding grid by a integer template parameter.

All these changes will be easy to incorporate in existing code.

One major change though will remove a complete interface and I would
like to hear if anybody is currently using this feature, so that we
would have to add some backwards compatibility here.

Currently you can either iterate over all remoteintersections, or over
those of a given entity. While it seems natural and is similar to the
dune-grid interface the access to the remoteintersections of an given
entity is expensive and doesn't play nicely with the necessary changes
for the improved parallel algorithms. We are planning to drop these
iterators. Is anybody using this part of the lib?

Cheers