[Dune] [Dune-Commit] dune-grid r7723 - trunk/dune/grid/io/file/vtk

Jö Fahlke jorrit at jorrit.de
Sun Nov 6 21:35:40 CET 2011

Am Sun,  6. Nov 2011, 19:34:23 +0000 schrieb Martin Nolte:
> I agree that a smooth transition would have been preferable. On the
> other hand, I thought that the type of the VTKFunction should be
> obtained from the VTKWriter and, hence, did not see the point in
> providing this. Nevertheless, some evil template magic to provide
> this can be constructed, if you like it.

The problem is that there are (at least) three VTKWriter variants: VTKWriter,
VTKSequenceWriter, and SubSamplingVTKWriter.  When we construct a
VTKFunctionAdapter in PDELab, it is not clear which VTKWriter variant it is
going to be used with.  Extracting the base class as VTKWriter::Function and
then using it with a SubsamplingVTKWriter is kind of quite messy: you have to
know exactly which VTKWriter is the base to a particular SubSamplingVTKWriter,
and that should actually be an implementation detail.

Moreover, Dune::VTKFunction<Grid> is listed in the Doxygen documentation
module for the VTKWriter, so it looks quiet official.

> Could you provide me with a simple example for testing, e.g., some
> extremely simple PDELab example (_not_ using SuperLU by any
> accident)?

OK, I'll look for a good example.  But don't expect it today, I'm kind of busy
with dune-geometry right now.

@Adrian: You noticed this first, do you maybe have a good example?

Bye,
Jö.

--
Jorrit (Jö) Fahlke, Interdisciplinary Center for Scientific Computing,
Heidelberg University, Im Neuenheimer Feld 368, D-69120 Heidelberg

If God had intended Man to Smoke, He would have set him on Fire.
-- fortune