[Dune] How to use AMG with the constructor given below ?

Benedikt Oswald benedikt.oswald at psi.ch
Tue Nov 22 16:44:31 CET 2011

Dear Dune,

I need to instantiate the AMG preconditioner so that I can specify a specific coarseSolver
since my problem does not work with the default behavior of AMG, i.e.

"Construct an AMG with an inexact coarse solver based on the smoother.

As coarse solver a preconditioned CG method with the smoother as preconditioner will be used. The matrix hierarchy is built automatically."

Thus, I would like to use this constructor

Dune::Amg::AMG< M, X, S, PI, A >::AMG	(	const OperatorHierarchy & 	matrices,
CoarseSolver & 	coarseSolver,
const SmootherArgs & 	smootherArgs,
const Parameters & 	parms
)

Now, given my (parallel) BCRS matrix, distributed over the processes, could you please sketch
the way I should go, i.e. tell me on what other classes to use ?

I have a rough idea that I need to create my own operator hierarchy and I need to specify a coarse
solver, could be a very simple LoopSolver preconditioned by  SeqJac, in fact.

But what exactly must be done ?

I have a look at the AMG tests, but would not understand perfectly well.

Thanks for giving some hints.

Greetings, Benedikt

Benedikt Oswald, Dr. sc. techn., dipl. El. Ing. ETH, www.psi.ch, Computational Accelerator Scientist, http://amas.web.psi.ch
Paul Scherrer  Institute (PSI), CH-5232 Villigen, Suisse, benedikt.oswald at psi.ch, +41(0)56 310 32 12

"Passion is required for any great work, and for the revolution passion and audacity are required in big doses.",
 Ernesto 'Che' Guevara, Letter to his parents.