[Dune] Grid format for unstructured grids from GMSH files

Sacconi, Andrea a.sacconi11 at imperial.ac.uk
Tue Nov 22 16:52:02 CET 2011

Hi all,

I'm starting to learn DUNE functionalities (even if I still have problems in the installation of some additional packages, ahahah).
The question is about GMSH files and the possibility of importing them in DUNE in order to create a grid object.

Looking at Grid Interface Howto pdf manual, page 22, I was trying to import a .msh file in DUNE. My question is: which is the most appropriate format for an unstructured grid whose details are stored in the corresponding .msh file?
Which format can replace better 'Foo' in the following line?

FooGrid * grid = GmshReader < GridType >:: read ( filename );

I was wondering about UGGrid, that requires a little bit of work in installing the library and the patches. Are there simpler/better alternatives?
Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Andrea

Andrea Sacconi
PhD student, Applied Mathematics
AMMP Section, Department of Mathematics, Imperial College London,
London SW7 2AZ, UK
a.sacconi11 at imperial.ac.uk