[Dune] Memory leak in 2d ALUGrid

Martin Nolte nolte at mathematik.uni-freiburg.de
Sat Sep 3 16:24:51 CEST 2011

Hi all,

who would have guessed that removing the method compactify could introduce a
memory leak in 2d ALUGrid? This was only possible because apart from removing
the method on ALUGrid's EntityPointer implementation, a call this method was
also removed. Unfortunately, the proper code was not inserted in this place.

This is just another incident in a long list of rather stupid mistakes during
"trivial" changes. To maintain code quality, it is very important to check
every commit thoroughly. Special care should also be taken when changing code
maintained by others, like ALUGrid in this case. If you don't know what the
code does, don't change it.

That said, I don't want to blame anyone. Everybody makes mistakes and few
people are actively developing dune-grid. It's great that the changes we
decided upon are finally being implemented. I just wish for an extra bit of care.

I would also like to apologize to all the DUNE users who experienced problems
due to this bug. If possible, consider using the current release branch to
avoid such troubles.

Best,

Martin

--
Martin Nolte <nolte at mathematik.uni-freiburg.de>

Universität Freiburg                                   phone: +49-761-203-5630
Abteilung für angewandte Mathematik                    fax:   +49-761-203-5632
Hermann-Herder-Straße 10
79104 Freiburg, Germany