[Dune] Returning Geometries As Objects

Matthias Wohlmuth Matthias.Wohlmuth at ma.tum.de
Mon Feb 6 16:12:03 CET 2012

Hi Christoph and Martin,
I highly agree with Christoph, that the tests are __REALLY__ important
for such a big software framework. Most of my own codes are used by
engineers/physicists who expect reliable results for all kind of
configurations. The only way I can hope to provide this while
introducing new features to the code is having many tests which
immediately let know when I produce any side-effects.
Therefore I disagree with Martin's earlier posts:

> With respect to your comment: I agree that in an ideal world, tests
> should compile and run at all times. However, truth is different and I
> think this is due to a chicken-egg problem:
In an ideal world we would not need any tests, as we would not make any
mistakes. However, as most of us work in the real world I think they are
really crucial for reliable software development.

> 'make check' fails before I start my change, so it is rather pointless
> to try 'make check' after my change. However, since my change might
> have introduced a bug, 'make check' will not even work when other bugs
> are fixed.
Yepp, that's the problem of the current situation, but this even
supports that make check should always pass for all releases  - and in
my opinion also for the trunk. That is, first fix bugs and then add new
features. (Although I realize that it is tempting to reverse that order ;-))

And regarding that there are too many possible configurations: No one
expects that your code works properly for all possible cases, but it is
expected that it works for the already known test cases. Only this
guarantees that a future release will be superior to an old one.
In an ideal real world, you would probably even add a new test when you
find a bug to make sure your code won't be broken again in the future.
Besides, I really enjoy how easy it easy with the current build system
to add new tests and to run them together. I use this a lot for my own
dune-module.

It's a bit of a different story, but I was really worried when I first
learned about DUNE and saw this:
http://autobuild.dune-project.org/buildlog

Best,
Matthias