[Dune] Returning Geometries As Objects

Christian Engwer christian.engwer at uni-muenster.de
Tue Feb 7 10:50:13 CET 2012

Hi Martin,

just as a follow up of my last mail.

> Currently, my impression is as follows: Carsten and Oli would like
> to enhance the lifetime of the geometry objects, Robert agrees to
> merge, and some users are afraid of breaking their code. Of course,
> the positive decision on the last developer meeting is positive
> towards this change.
>
> *NOTICE*: This is the final announcement. Unless a developer
> objects, the branch will be merged 2 PM today!

I'm against a merge, unless we agree to disable the reference feature
before the next release. Yes, this will require updates in all grid
implementations, but I think it is necessary to make this change show
its full potential and to actually value all the work and time you
spent here.

If we can agree on this, I have no furthe objections regarding a
merge. I think it is well enough tested to actually do a merge. My
main concern is about adding undesired features which we (might) have
to deal with for an unforseable time.

And "we agree" does not necessarily require a formal vote. I think it
just means that those people involved in (core) grid implementations
have to agree. I, for my part, am willing to do add the necessary
changes. Now we only need an opinion from Robert and Oliver [assuming
that you actually want to use you new feature ;-)].

Cheers