[Dune] Returning Geometries As Objects

Martin Nolte nolte at mathematik.uni-freiburg.de
Tue Feb 7 11:14:45 CET 2012

Hi Christian,

first of all, your objection is noted and I will not merge the branch before
the issue is decided upon.

However, I think this issue does not just concern the grid implementors. It
might also have a performance impact on existing codes. Currently, it is
usually ok to fetch the geometry multiple times, because the entity can ensure
that it is built up only once.

Therefore, I think that a formal vote on the lifetime issue is in order
(that's why I wanted to postpone it until the next meeting).

Since you are pressing the issue, I think we should split up the issues a
little. For example:

(a) Should we postpone the merge?
(b) Should we decide on the lifetime issue now or later?
(c) May the lifetime be limited (by entity / intersection) or not? (Maybe
capability?)
(d) Should the lifetime issue be a showstopper for the next release (i.e., no
transition phase)?
(e) Should we make another release before we merge?

I think postponing the merge will increase maintenance costs and slow down
development, so I'd like the merge to happen soon. Moreover, I also think
there will be a lively discussion of (c), so I don't know whether deciding now
makes sense.

What are the opionions of the other developers?

Best,

Martin

--
Dr. Martin Nolte <nolte at mathematik.uni-freiburg.de>

Universität Freiburg                                   phone: +49-761-203-5630
Abteilung für angewandte Mathematik                    fax:   +49-761-203-5632
Hermann-Herder-Straße 10
79104 Freiburg, Germany