[Dune] Returning Geometries As Objects

Robert Kloefkorn robertk at mathematik.uni-stuttgart.de
Thu Jan 26 13:38:12 CET 2012

Hi Carsten,

 > Wouldn't it be even simpler and more flexible to always store the
 > geometry implementation geo_ in the Geometry object? One could still
 > use geo_ to redirect the actual work to an object stored somewhere
 > else. If one would, e.g., like to implement reference counting
 > for those to ensure a proper livetime, it seems that one anyway
 > cannot use (b) although one does conceptually store a reference.

this would reflect the current situation. Things like that have to be
implemented by the grid implementer, for each grid again and again.
So the idea was to have a central class, which implements this once and
can be used by any grid implementation, if desired. But, this would also
add another layer to the code. Thats why the next idea was, to already
achieve this in the one interface class we have (here Geometry) to keep
the number of different classes, layers, etc. at a minimum.

 From this point of view I think it is quite desirable to leave some
flexibility in the (quite inflexible) interface classes.

Best regards,

Robert

--
   Dr. Robert Klöfkorn           <robertk at mathematik.uni-stuttgart.de>

   Lehrstuhl Numerische Mathematik für Höchstleistungsrechner
   IANS, Uni Stuttgart
   Pfaffenwaldring 57
   D-70569 Stuttgart
   Telefon   +49-(0)711 / 685 - 69773