[Dune] Setting and optimising AMG parameters in ISTL

Bath Uni e.mueller at bath.ac.uk
Wed Jul 25 23:43:51 CEST 2012

Hi Markus,

>> thanks a lot, I'm still having trouble installing the latest version
>> of pdelab (you might have seen my email on the pdelab list).
>
> Sorry for not being precise. I should have said revision r1996 of
> dune-pdelab and not latest.
ah, ok, thanks, I can install r1996 without problems. What I should probably do first is extract the parameters and print them all out, that will at least give me a better idea of what is used at the moment, and we can think about how this can be tweaked for our specific problem.

>> As far as I can see the coarsen criterion is only used in the
>> apply() method of the class ISTLBackend_AMG in backend.hh, where the
>> AMG object is instantiated, so I guess I could always derive a class
>> from ISTLBackend_AMG and overload the apply() method with the
>> UnSymmetricCriterion (and then also derive ISTLBackend_AMG_SSOR
>> etc. from this). Or even hack the ISTL_Backend_AMG class in my Dune
>> installation...
>
> Yes, but you should probably use new names for ISTLBackend_AMG_SSOR,
> etc.
Of course, what would be a good name?

> How about instead of (or after) hacking you create a clean
> backend for the UnsymetricCriterion and send us patch. We would highly
> appreciate this and apply it to PDELab
Sure, if I manage to get it to work can create a patch relative to r1996.

Eike