[Dune] [Dune-Commit] dune-grid-howto r391 - trunk

Jö Fahlke jorrit at jorrit.de
Thu Jun 14 23:43:37 CEST 2012

Am Thu, 14. Jun 2012, 17:39:12 +0200 schrieb Christoph Grüninger:
> Hi Oliver, hi Martin,
> sorry for dune-grid-howto, I missed to patch the module.
>
> >the howto did not compile after Christoph's removal of VTKOptions. This
> >patch fixes it, so I guess it is just about avoiding a deprecation
> >warning. However, I don't know the VTK stuff, either.
>
> Judging from the removed code, the VTKOptions::* were only synonyms
> for the current VTK::*. Because the VTKOptions::* do not manifest as
> deprecation warnings, we don't need to backport Martin's patch.

I disagree.  VTKOptions::* is deprecated in 2.2, so nothing in that release
should use it (there are exceptions, of course...).  dune-grid-howto is an
example to our users, and by using deprecated stuff there we are setting a bad
example.  We should fix that example in the next point release.

What does "VTKOptions::* do not manifest as deprecation warnings" mean,
exactly?  Was the deprecation was forgotten?  Is it impossible to trigger a
deprecation warning?

--
Jorrit (Jö) Fahlke, Interdisciplinary Center for Scientific Computing,
Heidelberg University, Im Neuenheimer Feld 368, D-69120 Heidelberg

featured product: Debian GNU/Linux - http://www.debian.org