[Dune] Removal of deprecated VTKOptions

Christoph GrĂ¼ninger christoph.grueninger at iws.uni-stuttgart.de
Fri Jun 15 08:09:04 CEST 2012

Hi,
I tried to get deprecation warnings to work, but the only case which
triggers the warning would be to create a variable of the deprecated
type, i.e. "Dune::VTKOptions::OutputType ot;" In any case, with any
position of __attribute__ ((deprecated)) in the declaration, the code
"vtk.write(name, Dune::VTKOptions::binary);" was silently compiled.
To exclude possible bugs in DUNE_DEPRECATED, I used the attribute
directly. I was using GCC 4.6.

>I apologise however for not announcing this in recent_changes.

The moment I realized that the deprecation was not mentioned in the
recent_changes, should have triggered an explicit announcement from
my side before the removal. Sorry for not doing that.

>Still, now that we are wiser, maybe it is a good idea to revert and postpone
>the removal?  (But only if someone has a way to make the deprecation work
>properly...)

Isn't most of the code already changed? With Markus' code the change can be
done even automatically. If someone does not like the removal, he can locally
revert it.

Bye,
Christoph