[Dune] state of Debian packages for dune

Oliver Sander sander at mi.fu-berlin.de
Tue Mar 13 10:10:40 CET 2012

Hi Ansgar,

> I thought I would give a short status report about the current state of
> the Debian packages for dune I have been working on for a while.
>
> The packaging is now available from the Debian Science Git
> repositories[1]; if you want to work on them please create an account on
> alioth.debian.org and join the Debian Science team.  Source and binary
> packages (amd64) can also be found in my private apt repository[2].

Great!  Thanks for the work.

> The packages for dune-{common,istl,localfunctions} should be ready.  The
> other modules still have some minor things I would like to fix before
> uploading them (see below).
>
> As the current packages are based on a SVN snapshot, I do not think they
> should be part of a stable release and would upload them to
> experimental, starting with dune-common and -istl for now.  Please
> object if you think I should wait until the 2.2 release.
>
> Christian Engwer and Oliver Sander suggested to prepare packages for 2.1
> instead, but for this the problem in dune-geometry below would need to
> be addressed as well and I am not sure if such changes are appropriate
> for a maintenance release.  However we could still upload the 2.1
> release to Debain unstable even with a 2.2 snapshot in experimental.

I think we should really get something into the _stable_ release.
Dune-2.2 is overdue anyways; why not do a release on the current status
and upload that into stable?

> dune-geometry:
> dune/geometry/quadraturerules/jacobian.mw is a Maple worksheet that is
> the source for jacobi_{1,2}_0_imp.hh.  This would need to be converted
> to another language as I don't think there a free tools in Debian to
> "compile" the worksheet.

I suspect we could just omit the file.  The ordinary user will only need
the .hh-files.  Whoever wants to hack on the quadrature rules will need
to download the source from dune-project.org and get a maple license.

> dune-grid:
>   - one test needs to be disabled for the Debian package as it needs
>     too much memory

Just disable it for the packaging.  (AlbertaGrid 3d)

>   - amiramesh examples cannot be modified with free tools. As they are
>     not usable without the non-free library, I am considering to just
>     drop them from the package.

Drop them.  Since we cannot build with AmiraMesh support anyway, there
is no use for these grids either.

>   - the mpi wrapper (I think) sets an rpath. I plan to use chrpath to
>     remove it.
>   - example grids end up in /usr/include/dune

Not nice.  Can you add the packaging such that they end up at an appropriate
location in /share/...?  Their location is hardwired in various
test/Makefile.am,
but nowhere else.
(See, e.g., dune-grid/dune/grid/test/Makefile.am)

Cheers,
Oliver