[Dune] state of Debian packages for dune

Ansgar Burchardt ansgar.burchardt at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Tue Mar 13 15:50:14 CET 2012

Hi,

On 03/13/2012 10:10 AM, Oliver Sander wrote:
>> As the current packages are based on a SVN snapshot, I do not think they
>> should be part of a stable release and would upload them to
>> experimental, starting with dune-common and -istl for now.  Please
>> object if you think I should wait until the 2.2 release.
>>
>> Christian Engwer and Oliver Sander suggested to prepare packages for 2.1
>> instead, but for this the problem in dune-geometry below would need to
>> be addressed as well and I am not sure if such changes are appropriate
>> for a maintenance release.  However we could still upload the 2.1
>> release to Debain unstable even with a 2.2 snapshot in experimental.
>
> I think we should really get something into the _stable_ release.
> Dune-2.2 is overdue anyways; why not do a release on the current status
> and upload that into stable?

I am fine with that too, but would still try to upload the snapshot to
experimental first to see if there are any issues.  If there's a 2.2
release before the freeze, it could then be uploaded to unstable and be
released with wheezy.

>> dune-geometry:
>> dune/geometry/quadraturerules/jacobian.mw is a Maple worksheet that is
>> the source for jacobi_{1,2}_0_imp.hh.  This would need to be converted
>> to another language as I don't think there a free tools in Debian to
>> "compile" the worksheet.
>>
> I suspect we could just omit the file.  The ordinary user will only need
> the .hh-files.  Whoever wants to hack on the quadrature rules will need
> to download the source from dune-project.org and get a maple license.

As the generated *.hh files are already there, this would just "hide"
that they are generated from somewhere else.  It's actually worse as the
tarball would not contain the "preferred form of modification" that the
GPL requires.

>> dune-grid:
>>   - one test needs to be disabled for the Debian package as it needs
>>     too much memory
>
> Just disable it for the packaging.  (AlbertaGrid 3d)
>
>>   - amiramesh examples cannot be modified with free tools. As they are
>>     not usable without the non-free library, I am considering to just
>>     drop them from the package.
>
> Drop them.  Since we cannot build with AmiraMesh support anyway, there
> is no use for these grids either.

Will do with the next packaging updates.

>>   - the mpi wrapper (I think) sets an rpath. I plan to use chrpath to
>>     remove it.
>>   - example grids end up in /usr/include/dune
>>
> Not nice.  Can you add the packaging such that they end up at an
> appropriate location in /share/...?  Their location is hardwired in various
> test/Makefile.am, but nowhere else.

This might just need a few changes to  doc/grids/*/Makefile.am as the
tests should not need the installed version of the files.  I'll look at it.

Ansgar