[Dune] [Dune-Commit] dune-grid r8042 - branches

Martin Nolte nolte at mathematik.uni-freiburg.de
Sun May 6 19:03:30 CEST 2012

Hi Christian,

either I will push them to a feature branch or publish a suitable patch on the
FlySpray for discussion. So, you don't need to do cherry-picking yourself.

The problem with special purpose branches is that you can develop only one
feature at a time. This is good as long as we only develop stuff that has
previously been discussed (like returing the geometry as an object). But for
undiscussed ideas you would need several branches and having all of them merged
into your working copy is simply impossible.

Partly, I'm trying to do what Oli suggested: use git. Only, I try to mimick the
git development model using svn, so that you can see what I'm doing (if you are
interested, that is). As far as I understand, in git every developer would have
his own branch and we would have to do exactly what you just disliked: Picking
the good stuff from other peoples development branches.

In summary, the branch serves two purposes: On the one hand, we see how the
developers react to such a git-like approach and on the other hand I can keep
all my changes under revision control (the last patch I commited is over two
years old and luckily I still have it).

Maybe we can discuss our development model on the next developer meeting. My
impression is that some developers feel DUNE is too mature to have a single
development branch where commits happen sometimes with and sometimes without
prior discussion. On the other hand, there are developers (like me) who think
the current strategy is too restrictive for active development (feature request
remain unanswered and if you just commit changes, you're called autocratic). If
this judgement is correct, I see real need for discussion.

In any case, a separate development branch is a solution for me (personally).
But better suggestions would be very welcome.

Best,

Martin

--
Dr. Martin Nolte <nolte at mathematik.uni-freiburg.de>

Universität Freiburg                                   phone: +49-761-203-5630
Abteilung für angewandte Mathematik                    fax:   +49-761-203-5632
Hermann-Herder-Straße 10
79104 Freiburg, Germany