[Dune] parallel DUNE grid for implementing a spherical shell (UGGrid)

Oliver Sander sander at igpm.rwth-aachen.de
Mon Nov 5 17:58:13 CET 2012

Hi Eike,

Am 05.11.2012 17:45, schrieb Eike Mueller:
> Dear dune-list,
>
> (1) How can I ensure that the grid is not refined in the radial direction, i.e. I always only end up with one layer of cells in the radial direction? I guess I have to run over the grid and mark cells for refinement, but is this documented anywhere in more detail?
UGGrid has a special non-interface method for anisotropic refinement.
Have a look
at the doxygen documentation of the UGGrid class.  There is a method

bool mark <cid:part1.06080707.05050708 at igpm.rwth-aachen.de> (const
typename Traits::template Codim
<cid:part2.01070504.09040609 at igpm.rwth-aachen.de>< 0 >::Entity
<cid:part3.05050902.01040902 at igpm.rwth-aachen.de> &e, typename UG_NS<
dim >::RefinementRule rule, int side=0)

which marks the entity 'e' for refinement, but with a special refinement
rule.
The list of rules is UG-specific and has not been properly documented
(Freiwillige vor!).
You find all possible enum values in the UG header ug/gm.h at line 317ff
They are reasonably self-explanatory, but you need to do some experimenting.

> (2) The parallel load balancing does not seem to work. If I run on 24 processes and I call globalRefine(), followed by loadBalance(), some processes end up with no part of the grid. I have checked that I use the parallel version of UG grid.
>
> I attach the code I used to generate the grid, as well as the .vtu files mentioned above.
No clue, I'd have to try this out myself.
cheers,
Oliver